Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Camus, question #4

This sounds like a tough question: How do you think we should handle relating to someone whose actions or beliefs we disapprove of? If I want to answer this simplistically, I would say that I would act unhappy and ignore or not pay attention to whatever the person was doing or saying.

This method of action however changes if I cannot avoid it, though. If I was in a situation to where, like Daru, I had to take in a prisoner for a while whom had committed a crime similar to the Arab's, I don't know what I would do. I believe I would only give the prisoner the essentials they need to get by while under my watch, but I don't know if I would be as humanistic as Daru. Some variables that would help me change my mind though would be if I found out the crime wasn't actually severe (such as a person stealing a candy bar from the checkout stand) or if the perpetrator was seriously remorseful for what they had done, whichever crime it was. Also, if I found out that if the person actually had a valid reason for committing their crime (such as murder as an act of immediate self-defense in order to not be killed themselves or stealing medicine in order to immediately save someone else's life), then I would probably open up a lot more to the person. At that point I'm not even sure I would call them a criminal, but more like a person that had to react in a quick fashion in order to survive in the world, no harm, no foul.

One thing I would make sure of though would be that my feelings or emotions were not getting played, because there have been instances where I've let my guard down and misunderstood words or actions that I thought were in my best interest (probably because those word or actions were what I wanted to hear or see). Then I would feel like a fool for doing whatever it was I did and then I would clam up. In light of that, especially when taking in a prisoner, I would end up keeping some kind of defensive weapon nearby, like a knife or a gun, because if I was being taken advantage of without knowing it, the consequences could be a lot more severe for me if I wasn't prepared.

But what if I didn't have this prisoner situation and more likely had to deal with a boss or co-worker that I didn't like? Well, maybe I would try to find out why they were acting in that way, like try to talk to them or other co-workers about what background information they know about the person. If trying to relate or be friendly wouldn't work with them, then I would let them know that I'm not happy with them and that they'd better watch what they're doing around me (however, I realize, if I tried to say that to my boss, it wouldn't work out- in that case, I would probably hit up HR or someone else that could help the situation). I would not act violent or cause physical harm (that would put me in even hotter water than what I would want) but I would stand my ground and make it be known that I shouldn't be crossed with. Normally, I don't think I would ever come across situations that would make me consider leaving, but if there was a serious situation that needed me to leave my job, I would do it. Something like a serious ethical or financial mismanagement in the workplace would get me packing.

As far as emulating Daru's style of handling a not so favorable situation, I guess I would be as humanistic as possible toward others, whatever the situation is. But I've learned that it's not always the best method to use, so I constantly stay alert to whether or not my method is working; if it wouldn't be, then I would step it up and find a method that would.

No comments:

Post a Comment