Saturday, October 9, 2010

My style of music.





Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Chevelle - Panic Prone





I guess the one song that has had a large influence in my world view has been the song “Panic Prone” by Chevelle. I first heard it back when I was in high school in the spring of 2005 and it was during a time of my life where I had all this emotion overruning my attitude and self-esteem that when I tried to accomplish things on a day to day basis, it was challenging. I'll admit, some of the challenge was good for me to grow as a person, but a lot of the time, trying to face up to the challenge didn't make me feel like myself. Before this whole life changing incidence, I was much more grounded with my thinking, where I was able to use more of my head and not my emotions to make my decisions for whatever I wanted. Then all of a sudden, I was starting to reach this period of artistic enlightenment, where I was getting really into music and I was starting to get in touch with my sensitive side.

So a lot of the music I began listening to was emo or morose in some way, and this song Panic Prone was as morose as it could be. I think the reason why I began to like this song was because I was going through some family issues and friend issues that really shook me up, and I could always identify with the way the lead singer Pete Loeffler emotionally carried out the lyrics to the song. The brooding, sorrowing longing that this guy sang about would always pull me in and force me to sit and listen to the whole song. The guitar chords that would suddenly blare after being much more quiet earlier in the song made me think about how badly I wanted to become loud and shout out my problems to the world. And then as the guitar chords came to a much more stable but noticeable chorus, it would remind me of how if the song represented me that this portion would represent how much stronger and solid a person I would become after releasing out all the emotion and anguish I had bottled up inside quietly for so long.

For the next 5 years this would become the music I would retreat to, as the emotive songs would keep me relating to the bands about the issues I would deal with and make me feel like I'm not the only one that goes through those issues. This made me more of a fan of the band Chevelle, as a lot of their songs from many of their albums play along those lines of artistic expression. Other bands like Breaking Benjamin and Snow Patrol (although Snow Patrol isn't known for a heavy sound) have the emotional expression that defines me as a person as well, and it's very refreshing to listen to music from other sources of music that can make a person relate. As lowly and depressive as this music is, I enjoy it, and I know that it can signal to others that I may be a depressive person, but I don't care. I LOVE this music, and it's not like I'll listen to it all the time; sometimes I'll want to listen to something happier like a contemporary pop or adult alternative song, or in other cases I'll take rap, hip-hop, or country. But the style of music I'll always come back to is this: hard, transcending rock with strong, emotive, angst filled voices that follow through from the start of a song until the end. It makes me feel great and it keeps me looking forward for things to come.




OT (sorta): other songs on my mind lately...


Aphasia - Flatline



Linkin Park - Crawling



Stroke 9 - Kick Some Ass



Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonaise



Snow Patrol - How to be Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment