Sunday, September 26, 2010

DJ Shadow's effect on me

My favorite song was The Number Song. Why? I don't know. I think it's because of the rhythm and beat it produces; it reminds me of an intro song used to welcome the home team of a football or baseball game, like the “Yeah! Let's go get them!” kind of song. It's supposed to evoke hope and preparation for the fans and the players for a good game. It also reminds me of said game where I'm in the stands enjoying a hot dog and soda watching the players on the field. Basically, this song reminds me of a good time out watching a sports game. It gives me feelings of invigoration, adrenaline, and a fun atmosphere, preferably one where I'm watching a baseball game at night surrounded by friends.


There were some other good songs on the album too. Building Steam with a Grain of Salt was a pretty moving song, as the beat was pretty deep and melancholy, but it was addicting; along with trying to add speeches of eventual success or higher meaning, it was enough to put me in a content trance. Listening to the nearly 7 minute song left me in a state of suspension, where I was solely focused on hearing the song and drifting myself off into a mental place other than where I was. Another good song was How Deep is Your Soul (Blue Sky Remix): this song was more dreamlike and, in some ways, more positive than the original song of the first same name. It left me thinking of me floating in the clouds on a moonlit night, surrounded by other friends looking around at what we were a part of, waiting for the morning to come so we could finally start doing what we all want to accomplish.


This album was a pretty good album; it may not be the best in my book, but it was definitely one that got my mind turning and wandering into states that I normally come into when I'm dreaming, and for that, I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment